JackinChat forums are temporarily in read-only mode. Will be back soon!
Message Boards
Index » JackinChat » About JackinChat » New chatroom interface discussion
Page: < prev  of 9   next > 
palmer Skilled Jackinchatter

848 posts since 2007-06-30
70 year old curious from california
ah its a yes & then no to the java pop=ups
its just sex

User is offline Send Message to User View User Profile
Ben Enlightened Jackinchatter
Cock of the walk
2998 posts since 2005-07-18
45 year old curious from St Paul, Minnesota
Due to Sun Microsystem's latest changes to Java, chats like ours can throw some security messages when you try and join. It may ask if you want to run content from jackinchat.com. You need to click yes or allow to this.

It may then ask if you want to block unsigned code. You do not want to block it, so click no. If you are on Windows, the firewall may ask if you want to keep blocking or unblock, be sure and click unblock.

If you accidentally clicked the wrong thing in java, just close all web browser windows and then just try again. I just tested that here and it works just fine to start over.
I'm just a guy

Cock of the walk
We have changed the font to Arial. What does everyone think?
I'm just a guy

Infl8orama Amateur Jackinchatter

136 posts since 2005-08-22
heterosexual male from Florida
I'm more of a Trebuchet guy myself. grin
"You never pushed a noun next to a verb except to blow up something!"--Henry Drummond to E.K. Hornbeck, "Inherit the Wind"

kwk Novice Jackinchatter

38 posts since 2010-05-02
54 year old homosexual from TN
Hey owner,

I love that the new vrs:
- Actually lets me in the room with no hassle
- Shows who's joined

Thanks for taking care of the login conflicts. I would have hated to stop visiting altogether.

Still not sure how to:
- Easily pull up a users full profile
- How to set prefs (eg. before u could turn sounds on, etc)

Cock of the walk
kwk said:
Hey owner,

I love that the new vrs:
- Actually lets me in the room with no hassle
- Shows who's joined

Thanks for taking care of the login conflicts. I would have hated to stop visiting altogether.

Still not sure how to:
- Easily pull up a users full profile
- How to set prefs (eg. before u could turn sounds on, etc)

As of right now, it doesn't link to a users profile and doesn't have any prefs to set, so you aren't doing anything wrong.
I'm just a guy

HampshireMan Amateur Jackinchatter

494 posts since 2010-05-25
72 year old curious male from Pembrokeshire, Wales
Arial is a seriously flawed font. I think it's Verdana which was released as a replacement many years ago and it would definitely be a better choice than Arial if you really want to limit users to one, sans-serif font. But it's interesting to note that virtually all books are printed in serifed fonts. The reason is simple: they're much easier to read.

It would also be nice if you'd test the chatroom interface on a reasonably high resolution screen. On my 22", 1600 x 1200 CRT display the text is very hard to read (yes, I know, it really does make you go blind eventually!), especially with some of the odd foreground/background colour combinations that get used, and, because it's a Java applet, it's impossible to use a browser's zoom function to enlarge the text. Offering a choice of font sizes would be a really nice addition to the UI, as would allowing users to chose any font installed on their machines.
Spin me: com dot gmail at 1952 man hampshire

peter2 Novice Jackinchatter

49 posts since 2010-03-14
79 year old
Ben said:
We have changed the font to Arial. What does everyone think?

Thanks Ben it's a lot better than before.

AMwood Novice Jackinchatter

23 posts since 2008-08-23
62 year old curious male from Upper Midwest Plains
Chrome comes up with message "The required plugin is not installed", but offers no option to download a plugin...maybe i missed it somewhere saying that it is not compatible with chrome....Thanks!

AMwood Novice Jackinchatter

23 posts since 2008-08-23
62 year old curious male from Upper Midwest Plains
AMwood said:
Chrome comes up with message "The required plugin is not installed", but offers no option to download a plugin...maybe i missed it somewhere saying that it is not compatible with chrome....Thanks!

Never mind....new computer...the missing plugin...was java itself...sorry for the alarm....

Cock of the walk
HampshireMan said:
Arial is a seriously flawed font. I think it's Verdana which was released as a replacement many years ago and it would definitely be a better choice than Arial if you really want to limit users to one, sans-serif font. But it's interesting to note that virtually all books are printed in serifed fonts. The reason is simple: they're much easier to read.

It would also be nice if you'd test the chatroom interface on a reasonably high resolution screen. On my 22", 1600 x 1200 CRT display the text is very hard to read (yes, I know, it really does make you go blind eventually!), especially with some of the odd foreground/background colour combinations that get used, and, because it's a Java applet, it's impossible to use a browser's zoom function to enlarge the text. Offering a choice of font sizes would be a really nice addition to the UI, as would allowing users to chose any font installed on their machines.

Thank you for the feedback. How exactly is Arial a flawed font? And how is Verdana "definitely a better choice"? I'd like examples, not the opinions of a font geek. razz

We will look into the ability to use your own fonts and sizes, but I'm not sure if that is possible.
I'm just a guy

Unregistered ?

It' ok I guess, but not as good as the original one. My main gripe is the lack of an audio signal when receiving a private message.

HampshireMan Amateur Jackinchatter

494 posts since 2010-05-25
72 year old curious male from Pembrokeshire, Wales
Ben said:
How exactly is Arial a flawed font?

Don't recall all the details, it's a long time ago, but the kerning (how close letter pairs sit to each other) is one example. This can result in the combination 'rn' being indistinguishable from an 'm', especially at smaller point sizes. Verdana, having been designed specifically to address the problems with Arial, would therefore have to be a better choice than Arial.

And I'm not a font geek, just someone that once needed to learn quite a bit about fonts for some software I was writing. Most of it is even more boring than you can imagine! :-)

Ben said:
We will look into the ability to use your own fonts and sizes...

Thanks, Can't ask more than that!
Spin me: com dot gmail at 1952 man hampshire

pmac Novice Jackinchatter

37 posts since 2009-12-29
76 year old bisexual male from New England
I get that message too. won't let me sign on. Using windows VISTA. any ideas?
Pmac

Cock of the walk
pmac said:
I get that message too. won't let me sign on. Using windows VISTA. any ideas?

What message did you get? Do you have java installed from www.java.com? Did you follow our directions about allowing the application to run? I typed them up, look a little bit back in this thread.
I'm just a guy

Page: < prev  of 9   next > 
Index » JackinChat » About JackinChat » New chatroom interface discussion