JackinChat forums are temporarily in read-only mode. Will be back soon!
Message Boards
Index » JackinChat » Support » "Flood control"???
Page: of 1  
Bigolly Amateur Jackinchatter

117 posts since 2009-10-06
bisexual from Southeast U.S. (La.)
So, now I go back and see that due to "flood control", I can only submit one message every 30 seconds? Huh? Since when? And why? So, I suppose my message is, or will be lost and I'll have to burn up my keyboard composing another message within that 30 second window? Someone, please, shed some light on this, will ya'?
Always ready to chat and stroke it when I'm online!!
Add a reply Quote this post
User is offline Send Message to User View User Profile
Kent Professional Jackinchatter

1500 posts since 2008-06-28
35 year old curious
You can spend as much time as you want composing a message and can send it any time you want. But there is a 30 second period immediately after you send a message when you can't send ANOTHER one......or EDIT the one you just posted.

So if you type and try to post another message within 30 seconds, then I guess maybe you lose the second one you typed out. (I've never had that happen because I can't type an entirely new message within 30 seconds.) Anyway, just be sure to wait more than 30 seconds to post a new message.

Where I often run into the "flood control" error message is when I've just posted a message and immediately spot a typo that I try to "edit" within the 30 seconds. That's when I get the "flood control" message. But it leaves the message alone that I've already posted. So I just wait until the 30 seconds are past and do the edit again, and it accepts the edit to the already posted message.
Bigolly Amateur Jackinchatter

117 posts since 2009-10-06
bisexual from Southeast U.S. (La.)
Hi, Kent,

thanks for all the information, although .... none of it applies to the "problem" I encountered earlier today. Where do I begin? Let's see, I've been sending and receiving messages here for years and have only run into this, or a closely similar problem, once, maybe twice, before. I recall being just as frustrated and disappointed that my ever so carefully composed and worded message couldn't or wouldn't be sent. Today was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, i.e., I was pissed off in a major way.

I didn't send or attempt to send a second message. The "error" messages in that little box at the top of the message area kept changing, telling me that I had to have a header or whatever, then it would change saying I needed a message ..... where there was one, a rather lengthy one. Now, I'm hesitant to send even this one! Please, forgive my angst, but this should be a simple matter, as it is just about everywhere else I've taken advantage of the messaging features. Anyway, I'll try again, some other time and see what happens. In the meantime, thanks for trying to clear this up for me. Oh, and it's nice to hear from you, .... again. We've swapped a few messages in the past, and I always follow you on the coffee shop board, not to mention my ongoing appreciation of that very "stimulating" avatar you have. So, thanks again, and get back to me if you have any other ideas or answers to my messaging dilemmas. My actual name is .... Sheldon. Ciao, mon ami.
Always ready to chat and stroke it when I'm online!!
Kent Professional Jackinchatter

1500 posts since 2008-06-28
35 year old curious
I don't think I've encountered exactly what you have. But I might mention another bug that has annoyed me.

There's been a bug for a long time that keeps people from composing a message outside of the Jackinchat message area (such as in WORD) and then copying and pasting the text into the message area to be posted. It accepts the PASTE OK and the words show up, but when you SEND it, you get an error message that says the message area is blank and must have text to send. It just doesn't recognize anything that has been pasted from somewhere else. You have to type the message in its entirety into the message box. So when I forget about this and try to post a long text from somewhere else, I can't do it. I have to retype all the text directly into the Jackinchat dialog box. This is true for both messages being pasted on the boards and also for Jackinmail messages.

I brought it up in a posted thread and others complained about it. Even Rod took notice of it as i recall, but wasn't able to do anything about it. (It was quite some time ago, so I'm assuming it hasn't been fixed in the interim.)

So maybe you've found yet another bug. Bummer!

Take care man.

Page: of 1  
Index » JackinChat » Support » "Flood control"???