JackinChat forums are temporarily in read-only mode. Will be back soon!
Message Boards
Index » JackinChat » Support » Banned for Malware
Page: of 1  
33_in_nyc Novice Jackinchatter

15 posts since 2012-03-10
45 year old heterosexual from U.S.A. : New York : New York
Hi, I foolishly accepted a random invite to another server and apparently it took over my computer -- so I got a message from JackinBOT that I was banned.

I've deleted and reinstalled the app, cleared all the data from my computer and browser, and run every kind of malware detector, but I still get a message that the app can't accept my invite when I try to rejoin the server.

What should I do? I'd really like to reconnect. I realize that this is a result of my own naive stupidity in accepting the spam link, and I'm sorry. I promise never to do it again! (My chat name on Discord is chillnakedbro.)
Add a reply Quote this post
User is offline Send Message to User View User Profile

Could others please speak up about this? I don't think I'm the first person it's happened to. Were you able to fix it on your own, or get any support from Administrators?

I'm grateful to have this community, and I was the victim here (although a dumb one). How can I correct it?
Rod Enlightened Jackinchatter

3032 posts since 2005-08-13
53 year old bisexual from Dallas, TX
Ya gotta be patient, man. Some stuff is just easier to do when we're not at work (then fixing and eating dinner, etc).

For the malware bots, really the only way to protect the server at large is to ban infected accounts. That removes a common server, and if that's the only connection that account has to others (no other common servers, not friended, etc), then not only can the infected account no longer post the malicious invite links to the server, but also can't send them through DM to our users.

With that in mind, you're the first that's reached out to us in any way to say that they've done something to get rid of the malware infection on their account. So...you're officially our test case. We removed the ban, but malware links/invites will still result in banning until such time as Discord can eliminate the problem at the source.
boatstroker Amateur Jackinchatter

144 posts since 2016-03-30
male from NJ
Yeah, happened to me too over there...

Hi Rod, I apologize for my impatience. Thanks for reminding me to mind my manners.

I tried to re-access the link today but am still getting the "Whoops... unable to accept invite" message. (My nick there is chillnakedbro.)
Unregistered ?

Can't you just use a new email address?

I don't think that would work... Discord saves your router's ip address. The only thing to be done is to be un-banned.

I'm hoping that will happen!

That happened two days ago.

Any current problems you may experience joining is out of our hands and will need to be addressed to Discord support.

Rod, I'll need a bit more guidance.

I was banned by jackinchat because I accidentally joined a spam server -- my fault. I've taken steps to clear my account and computer of whatever malware was inserted, and asked to be unbanned.

But, I still cannot rejoin the jackinchat server. It seems unlikely that my ban came from jackinchat but my inability to rejoin is some random Discord error.

I think many others have experienced something similar. Am I being unreasonable? I just want to be able to chat again.

Yes, I understand your issue. I have since your first post. Your ban was removed 3 days ago, as previously noted. If you are still experiencing trouble or an error rejoining, you will need to contact Discord support.

Hi Rod,

I'm following all of your advice. Discord staff have been exceptionally responsive, even helping me without demeaning remarks!

The message I received from Paul at [email protected] is:

"Sorry about the invite troubles!
If you can contact the server admins, could you ask them to revoke all the bans in their server settings > bans menu even if the Discord Tag isn't on the list? (This can happen accidentally for any number of reasons.)"

Perhaps you could look into this, since the ban came from a jackinchat admin-bot.

Thanks!
chris8765432 Amateur Jackinchatter

304 posts since 2015-02-16
heterosexual from north west uk
I am glad it is not just me! I made the same mistake and clicked a server to join, must have pressed the wrong button and sent the link to everyone and everything! Resulting in being booted off-understand why though. Shame it was not just a temp ban though.
Skype chris.smith360

33_in_nyc said:
Hi Rod,

I'm following all of your advice. Discord staff have been exceptionally responsive, even helping me without demeaning remarks!

The message I received from Paul at [email protected] is:

"Sorry about the invite troubles!
If you can contact the server admins, could you ask them to revoke all the bans in their server settings > bans menu even if the Discord Tag isn't on the list? (This can happen accidentally for any number of reasons.)"

Perhaps you could look into this, since the ban came from a jackinchat admin-bot.

Thanks!

I can only repeat:

Your ban was removed on 7/26. You can't be any more "unbanned" than you already are.

Unless I'm misunderstanding Discord's suggestion, I can tell you with full confidence that the chances of us removing all 368 bans on the server for a single technical issue are exactly zero.
boatstroker Amateur Jackinchatter

144 posts since 2016-03-30
male from NJ
Looks like there is no way to get into the server to request to be unbanned.

boatstroker said:
Looks like there is no way to get into the server to request to be unbanned.

Access to a server one is banned from sorta defeats the purpose of the ban.

We tried muting and kicking, but that does not prevent infected accounts sending out DMs to mutual server members.
Page: of 1  
Index » JackinChat » Support » Banned for Malware