JackinChat forums are temporarily in read-only mode. Will be back soon!
Message Boards
Index » General » Coffee Shop » TIME Magazine Cover
Page: of 1  
Kent Professional Jackinchatter

1500 posts since 2008-06-28
35 year old curious
Anyone have an opinion about the current cover of TIME? I thought of posting it so that you'd know what I'm talking about if you haven't seen it. But I'm not really sure if it could be posted within the Terms of Service of Jackinchat. I'm not sure if it can even be described here on Jackinchat.

But there it is on the magazine rack at Safeway, Walmart, Walgreen's, etc. And the picture and comments about it are ALL OVER Facebook. The mom is going to be interviewed on the "Today" program on NBC.

Outrageous! Awful! The fanatical right wing crazies will go into orbit about this.
Add a reply Quote this post
User is offline Send Message to User View User Profile
Unregistered ?

The cover was certainly put there for shock value. The articles in the magazine are about "attachment parenting," extended breast feeding, etc. While the picture will certainly be shocking to some, and probably detracts from the actual content, I don't see any specific problems with it. The picture itself is not and does not imply anything sexual. Breastfeeding in and of itself is not a sexual activity.
Roger Skilled Jackinchatter

515 posts since 2007-06-06
63 year old bisexual male
Conventional print media are having economic problems these days. Time needs to attract all the attention it can get.

35 year old curious
Facebook's policy has been that breastfeeding images and comments were in compliance with their Terms of Service. But in the past, some of the mods were taking down breastfeeding pictures based on their own personal opinions. This sparked protests from breastfeeding interests and a street demonstration at Facebook headquarters.

So Facebook cracked down on their own people and reiterated their approval of breastfeeding content.

So TIME was free to post the picture on its own Facebook page. And now it's all over Facebook.
Unregistered ?

What planet are you from?

omep_2157 said:
.... The picture itself is not and does not imply anything sexual. Breastfeeding in and of itself is not a sexual activity.
Des_Prat Amateur Jackinchatter

170 posts since 2012-03-25
curious from Victoria, Australia
My wife and I have always thought that if you're old enough to ask for the boob, you're too old. She's now breast feeding a 3 year old. LOL
JohnnyAplSeed Novice Jackinchatter

71 posts since 2008-11-08
46 year old from southern Maine U.S.
Giggle_button2 said:
What planet are you from?

He is from earth and he is right. breast feeding is not a sexual activity. some people have a kink to it like feet or food but in itself breastfeeding is no more sexual than peeing. (both use a sex organ for a biological purpose)
Str8_Bob Professional Jackinchatter

1351 posts since 2008-04-25
53 year old heterosexual male from USA
Des_Prat said:
My wife and I have always thought that if you're old enough to ask for the boob, you're too old....

My wife was talking to a young mother who said that she knew it was time to wean her child when he figured out how to unfasten the clasps on her nursing bra and pull down the cups.....LOL.
Unregistered ?

The cover of Demi Moore naked on Vanity Fair got way more press. Kent I do agree about the idiots who bring up all the controversy.
Anal
Unregistered ?

JohnnyAplSeed said:
He is from earth and he is right. breast feeding is not a sexual activity. some people have a kink to it like feet or food but in itself breastfeeding is no more sexual than peeing. (both use a sex organ for a biological purpose)

Re: [... The picture itself is not and does not imply anything sexual. Breastfeeding in and of itself is not a sexual activity.]

You are right, he is likely from planet earth.

Breastfeeding a baby is not sexual "in and of itself," agreed. However I'm pretty sure that an exposed breast on Time magazine is quite sexual to most men and certainly a lot of teenagers. A nursing mother is of sexual interest to many--not as a fetish--but for very normal other reasons having to do with breasts. The photo also conjures up notions of incest, which, while sexual can be rather repulsive.

I am interested in what others think, but That is why I ask what planet he was from. Doesn't seem normal to me to suggest that a photo of a breastfeeding mom is not at least somewhat titillating.

By the way, my wife nursed our children to almost three. She was discreet and attempted to cover herself or went to a more private area--for a reason. The sucking of an exposed nipple and breast does more than "imply" something is sexual--it is sexual (for most Western men anyway--probably all men on planet earth).

35 year old curious
I liked the picture on MSN that accompanied a satirical article about Detachment Parenting, in preference to Attachment Parenting.

User posted image

http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/17/11748100-the-latest-child-rearing-fad-detachment-parenting?lite
Page: of 1  
Index » General » Coffee Shop » TIME Magazine Cover