JackinChat forums are temporarily in read-only mode. Will be back soon!
Message Boards
Index » General » Personals » Yahoo Instant Messenger - A Public Safety Announcement
Page: of 1  
Unregistered ?

Hey everyone,

Based on what I've just seen, I feel compelled to share this with the group.

I know a lot of folks use YIM for all types of sexy business (pic shares, camming, etc.), but this program is an absolute "privacy" nightmare. I'm not talking about what Yahoo servers may store (thought THAT has crossed my mind), but the program itself on your PC.

This thing creates folders everywhere, and guess what? It can and will store all types of information which you may not want other users of your computer (family, spouse, etc.) to see.

Examples: profile names, chat sesions, shared photos. Oh, and did I mention all of this is present on your PC AFTER you uninstall it? I'm not fucking kidding.

If anyone is doing anything on YIM that you don't want someone to find out about, I suggest you do a thorough search of your hard drives for all things Yahoo. The results may shock you.
Add a reply Quote this post
John_G Amateur Jackinchatter

389 posts since 2013-03-26
54 year old heterosexual from Charlotte
Can you give us some more information regarding where to look? I did a search of my C: drive and found all the Messenger folders. I even found one for photosharing but I did not find any content inside. I also was not able to find any transcripts of chats.
User is offline Send Message to User View User Profile
Unregistered ?

would love to find shared pics ive done in past
cuminmedude Skilled Jackinchatter

588 posts since 2007-09-18
67 year old bisexual from North East England....UK
Wayward69.....i thought it was just my pc playing up, but i have found some folders that has stuff on them that i have not saved or want. I have recently joined some yahoo groups and from what you say it appears that this has only happened since joining these groups. I can not find where to delete these folders.....any ideas please.
i just love mutual wanking
jackwguyz Skilled Jackinchatter

859 posts since 2013-03-16
54 year old heterosexual from New Hampshire USA
yim is like a virus and its why I don't care to use it. yahoo in general is a virus and I kinda hate them. lol.
A guy who loves to stroke!
Unregistered ?

Apart from Skype, what good alternatives are there? I use yahoo a lot, but I'm the only one who uses the comp so it doesn't really matter.
hot4mmf Amateur Jackinchatter

219 posts since 2011-12-27
44 year old
Def would appreciate more info on where to look for this stuff...

Great post!
Unregistered ?

Hey all,

I'd suggest doing a search of your entire hard drive, including "hidden folders" (option in the version of Windows I'm using).

The biggest culprit is in C:ProgramDataYahoo (which is a hidden folder!) - dig into this folder under Messenger and you can find unwanted saved photos.

There is also stuff on your profile(s) in [username]AppDataRoaming and Local

Not to mention the stuff that remains in C:ProgramFiles and your registry after an "uninstall".

Whoever said Yahoo is a virus is correct. Sneaky fucks.
nutcase Amateur Jackinchatter

125 posts since 2012-09-05
79 year old heterosexual male from Germany
When you log into yahoo messenger , a little window opens , which says , that a record of your conversation will be kept .
It also says , whether this function is activated/deactivated . If you want to change it , follow the instructions .
There is also a little box, where you can put a tick , so that this window won`t be shown again . Don`t tick this , because in future , you won`t know about the status of activation/deactivation .

If the window does not show , then you have already ticked the box at a previous log-in , in which case I don`t know , what you can do .
Page: of 1  
Index » General » Personals » Yahoo Instant Messenger - A Public Safety Announcement